Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ancient of Days



Blessing and honor, glory and power
be unto the Ancient of Days
From every nation, all of creation,
bow before the Ancient of Days
Every tongue in heaven and earth
shall declare your glory
Every knee will bow at Your throne in worship,
You will be exalted, oh, God
and Your kingdom will not pass away,
Oh, Ancient of Days

© Gary Sadler & Jamie Harville,
Integrity's Hosanna! Music, 1992.


I love "WOW" moments. I love when something that quite possibly should have been obvious to me all along suddenly bursts into my thoughts like a freight train and almost knocks me over. I had a "WOW" moment today. For those of you who are naturally self-reflective and thoughtful, you will probably think..."She never thought of it like this?" But, that is one thing I love about God. He makes all things new everyday.

My God is ANCIENT. I think recently I have put god in a 2009 box. He IS today. He is present in this world I live in. He is active in my life. He cares about the people living on this planet. However, today I had this revelation. He not only IS, but HE WAS. I had a picture this morning of what that means. That means He was when God who watched with pain as He saw Eve take her first bite of Sin. He was when He led the Isrealites out of Egypt.  He was when He watched Anne Boleyn take her final walk to the guillotine. He was when thousands of brave freedom seekers sailed away from England to find a new land where they could worship as they felt led to. He was when American planes flew over Japan and dropped an atomic bomb. He was when a wall that separated a country and a people came down. GOD WAS. 

And GOD IS. He is when young girls are rescued from the sex slave trade. He is when a beloved college pastor dies. He is when a mother loses her job. He is when a truck pulls out too fast or a tire swerves under a motorcycle leaving family left to figure it all out.  He is when we gather to worship and praise Him. He is when a family eats dinner together and laughs so hard food sprays on the table. My GOD IS.
 


And HE IS TO COME. He will be with us from now until the eternity. He will not forsake or abandon us. He will not give up on us. He will continue to pursue us even as we allow distraction to take His place. He will be with us even to the end of the age. HE IS TO COME.
 


This makes me exhausted. Overwhelmed. Awed. How can our God not tire? How can He not grow weary? He has heard the same cries echoed over generation after generation. We continue to walk away from where He has called us. We continue to hurt each other and Him. Yet HE still IS. He loves. He remains. He is unfathomable. Just trying to get a picture of this puts me into a state of wonder. It almost makes me have to think about something else for awhile, take a break. Just breathe.