Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Throne




My small group is reading the book, "Crazy Love". We just started, so I have only read chapter one. The author, Francis Chan, focuses on getting back to basics in this chapter. For me, it is not only getting back to basics, but looking at God in a bigger way than before. It is allowing Him to be as majestic as He really is. I think I have put restrictions on Him, but in truth, we can never exaggerate just how amazing He is because we can't ever truly comprehend it. Our words can never describe it. It is overwhelming, but also a comfort to know that someone who created our universe still cares about my well-being.

As I have been contemplating just how amazing my God is, I took the advice of the book. I read Revelation 4. It describes the throne room of my Lord. Or, at least John (the author of Revelation) tries to describe the throne room. How can we put earthly words to something supernatural?

(From The Message - Revelation 4:2-4) I was caught up at once in deep worship and, oh!—a Throne set in Heaven with One Seated on the Throne, suffused in gem hues of amber and flame with a nimbus of emerald. Twenty-four thrones circled the Throne, with Twenty-four Elders seated, white-robed, gold-crowned. Lightning flash and thunder crash pulsed from the Throne. Seven fire-blazing torches fronted the Throne (these are the Sevenfold Spirit of God). Before the Throne it was like a clear crystal sea.

Here is where I start to cry. If I really read this and really try to picture it, it astounds me. Imagine, the God who came to save me - the same on who sent His Son to hang on a cross, sitting on a throne made of gems and a nimbus (or a luminous vapor) of emerald. (in the NIV, it describes it as a rainbow resembling an emerald). I am sure this is not doing justice to what the throne actually looks like, but how can you describe something you have never seen before? In front of the throne are burning torches and underneath is clear like a crystal sea. What does this mean? Is it as though God is suspended on this throne over a sea of glass while the gems and rainbows of color and fire reflect off of the surface?And then my favorite part, "Lightening flash and thunder crash pulsed from the Throne." How will we be able to stand here? How can we fathom this astonishing power? How can this awesome force that can not sit still in a throne without a storm raging around Him love me?

(Revelation 4:6-8) Prowling around the Throne were Four Animals, all eyes. Eyes to look ahead, eyes to look behind. The first Animal like a lion, the second like an ox, the third with a human face, the fourth like an eagle in flight. The Four Animals were winged, each with six wings. They were all eyes, seeing around and within. And they chanted night and day, never taking a break:

   Holy, holy, holy
   Is God our Master, Sovereign-Strong,
   The Was, The Is, The Coming. 


Next, we have these creatures from Narnia covered in eyes roaming around the throne chanting. Over and over again. It might drive a person crazy to hear this monotonous chant. Unless, you are so wrapped up in this amazing wonder to even hear it happening over and over. Unless you are awe struck by the thunder and lightening and jewels and these creatures looking at you from the inside out. "The Was, The Is, The Coming". I talked about this recently in my post "Ancient of Days". Always has been, always will be - still makes my head hurt. These creatures are constant reminders of the timelessness of God. We are trapped in a time and place, but He is not. He is all time and all places.

(Revelation 4:9-11) Every time the Animals gave glory and honor and thanks to the One Seated on the Throne—the age-after-age Living One—the Twenty-four Elders would fall prostrate before the One Seated on the Throne. They worshiped the age-after-age Living One. They threw their crowns at the foot of the Throne, chanting,

   Worthy, O Master! Yes, our God!
   Take the glory! the honor! the power!
   You created it all;
   It was created because you wanted it.


Finally, as if the bangs and lightening and rainbows of color and gems and scary creatures and chanting were not enough, we have 24 elders (probably people we know if I were to guess...like David, Isaiah, Paul?). These white haired elders fall prostrate before the Throne. They throw their crowns down and chant their praise to God. They are awe struck every time the creatures do this and thrown into worship themselves.

So, we are supposed to stand here one day? We are supposed to gaze upon the beauty of our Lord? The Israelites were afraid to look at God for fear they might die by doing so. I can understand the fear. I think this is something "The Shack", by William P. Young, might be pointing to as well. God is someone to fear, but He is also Jesus and the Holy Spirit. He is man and He is God. He is thunder and lightening, and He is a still small voice. He is justice and punishment, and He is forgiveness and mercy.

The creator of the universe sits on this Throne being worshiped for who He is, but the creator of the universe wants a relationship with me. This makes me think twice about coming straight to the Throne with my fears, struggles, requests, even praise. It makes me want to stop, take off my shoes, get on my knees, fall on my face, and just sit there. Bask in this presence. Fear my Lord. Knowing that He is willing to hear me, but waiting and giving Him honor first. Honor in my silence. Honor in just sitting in awe of Him.

3 comments:

Ryan Garrett said...

John's description of God is quite humbling...can't imagine it. But, let me say that another example to contemplate is the beauty of the world we live in. It is just a reflection of everything God is, and when you travel it as much as I do, you see even the little things that God considered in His Creation. And in all things, I am further reminded of the wise words: "what is man, that You are mindful of us?" What are we indeed? Well, we are fearfully and wonderfully made.

Unknown said...

I love Revelation 4:4. It says that the seven torches are God's seven spirits.

Wait a second. I can barely wrap my mind around God in 3 parts (Father, Son, Spirit).

Just when I think I've got it, this says that God has 7 spirits?!

My mind is broken.

Ashley said...

It is kinda great to know that we will never figure it all out on this earth, isn't it? It is just that big. But, I'll still keep trying.